In this labor market, hiring managers are looking for people who are the right fit for the job. The responsibility to prove you are uniquely qualified rests on you. Since you can’t possibly be perfect for all those jobs you are blasting your resume to, your time is wasted.
Here’s what to do instead:
- Identify your Interview Bucket List – a list of 50 companies in your local area that you would like to work for.
- Follow them on LinkedIn and then set up Google Alerts on them as well.
- Each day, review the info that comes in about these companies and try to find something of relevance that you can discuss with people who work there.
- Contact and invite people who work there to connect so you can ask about what you saw in the news and start to build a relationship with them by email.
- Once they accept, see if they might be willing to let you conduct an informational interview so you can learn more about the company first-hand as a way to prepare yourself for applying to future openings…