The weight of the federal income tax has varied widely since it was introduced a century ago.
It has generally played a progressive role in mitigating income inequality. But it is not powerful enough to overcome the widening gap of recent decades.
- Top 1% Earners / In What Field Do They Majored In ?
- U.S. Taxes Rates | Over the last 50 years, the wealthiest pay 40% less while middle class pay roughly the same
- US / The Income Inequality Crisis in 16 Charts
- U.S. | Measuring the increase in income inequality before-tax and after-tax
- Inequality on the rise in most OECD countries
- Personal income tax in OECD – It has risen in 25 out of 34 countries over the past three years