On 1 January 2016, the Irish minimum wage (MW) increased from €8.65 to €9.15 per hour, an increase of approximately 6 per cent. Using data from the Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) for the years 2015 and 2016, we estimate the effect of the increase in the minimum wage on the hours worked and likelihood … Continue reading
This document presents the main findings from research and consultation undertaken by SOLAS to inform the development of the 2018-2021 Further Education and Training Policy Framework for Skills Development of People in Employment. The findings are based on a review of national and international policy and research, and current policy, provision and supports for employee … Continue reading
In January 2016, the Government published a new National Skills Strategy – Ireland’s Future – which sets out the Government’s commitment to improving and using skills for sustainable economic growth. It outlines how Ireland can develop a well-skilled, adaptable workforce that contributes to, shares in, and benefits from opportunities of economic expansion. A critical success … Continue reading
The construction and industrial sectors delivered the most new jobs as a 59,400 increase in the number of full-time posts helped bring the unemployment rate down to its lowest level since 2008. Quarterly data published by the Central Statistics Office showed Ireland’s seasonally adjusted unemployment rate dropped to 9.1 per cent in July-September this year … Continue reading
“Vocational education and training has been neglected. If “strong vocational programmes increase competitiveness”, “many programmes fail to meet labour market needs” writes the OECD in LEARNING FOR JOBS: SUMMARY AND POLICY MESSAGES. The OCDE review “aims to bridge the gap between learning and jobs, by exploring how to make initial vocational education and training for … Continue reading
The unemployment rate was unchanged in June after falling to a six-year low of 9.7 per cent last month. According to new figures from the Central Statistics Office, the seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was down from 11. 4 per cent when compared to the same month a year earlier. The number of unemployed people fell … Continue reading
There was an annual increase in employment of 1.5% or 27,700 in the year to the third quarter of 2014, bringing total employment to 1,926,900. This compares with an annual increase in employment of 1.7% in the previous quarter and an increase of 3.2% in the year to Q3 2013. Summary points for Q3 2014 … Continue reading
A SIX YEAR ESRI study involving almost 20,000 children has detailed the dramatic effect the recession has had on the economic vulnerability of families. The Growing up in Ireland study has continued interviewing two different groups of children, one of which was born in 1998 and the other in 2008. Both groups and their parents … Continue reading
The number of people signing on the Live Register fell again this month as conditions in the labour market continue to improve. The latest set of figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) showed the number of claimants on the register dropped by 3,400 in July, the 25th consecutive monthly drop. As a result, the … Continue reading
The change, from 12.2% to 12%, failed to reach a 11.8% rate estimated in recent claims data. Unemployment fell for the eighth quarter in a row from a high of 15.1%, but did not match the eurozone average of 11.8%. via BBC News – Ireland unemployment rate falls by 0.2% in the quarter.
The number of people claiming unemployment benefit in Ireland fell for the 20th successive month in February, dropping below 12 percent for the first time since April 2009, data showed on Wednesday. via Irish unemployment rate falls below 12 percent in Feb | Reuters.
On December 15, after years of spending cuts and tax rises, Ireland will become the first of the rescued eurozone countries to exit its EU-IMF bailout programme. Dublin had to move the economy away from reliance on property “to move to a sustainable economy built on enterprise, innovation and exports,” the minister with responsibility for … Continue reading
Deutsche Bank has announced that it will generate over 700 jobs in Dublin over the coming years Continue reading
The current shortage of skilled tradespeople in Western Canada is so dire that the B.C. Construction Association is returning to Ireland this month to hire 600 people, said the group’s vice-president. In fact, even if one-in-five students graduating from high school in B.C. during the next three years were to pursue a trade, there still … Continue reading